Private Accommodation



At City School of Languages we work closely with several reputable letting companies in Swansea and can help to arrange bookings and viewings for our students. Please note that because private accommodation is very popular, you will need to start the process of looking for suitable accommodation in advance.

Please contact our Welfare and Accommodation Officer for more information or advice.

We can help you with:

  • Rooms in shared flats and houses
  • Rooms in family homes
  • Studios
  • 1,2 or 3 bedroom apartments and houses

If you are interested in self-catering accommodation which is not on this list, please contact us as we have access to many different types of accommodation.

Types of private accommodation

The most usual type of accommodation in Swansea are flats or apartments. Renting private accommodation can be expensive, especially in Swansea City Centre and Swansea Marina and can be very difficult to find. A good way of making this affordable is to share with other students. If you do this, make sure you agree beforehand on how you will share costs.

What to expect

In private accommodation, you will have to do your own cooking and cleaning, and quite often will have to provide your own bed linen and cooking equipment. It is important that you ask the landlord about such things.


Tenancy agreement 

Whatever type of private accommodation you decide on, it is very important that you meet the owner of the property so that you can see it for yourself, and discuss the rent. DO NOT sign any accommodation contract you do not understand, as contracts are legally binding. If you are unsure, bring a copy of the contract to City School of Languages for our advice.

If you do decide to move in, please ask for a tenancy agreement that both you and the owner will sign. This will set out the agreement between you. You will probably be asked to pay a deposit before you can move in (most international students are required to pay at least 6 months' rent upfront). You may also be required to pay a bond which will be given back to you when you leave, provided all bills have been paid and there is no damage to the property or contents. Make sure you get a receipt for this.

You can view information about tenancy deposit protection schemes here.

You may be asked to sign an inventory for all the items listed in the property. Make sure you get a copy of this and a receipt for all the rent payments that you make. Always ask for a rent book off your landlord in which your payments can be recorded.

Utility bills

Regarding your electricity and gas, you may need to use a card. In some situations it will make more sense to share bills for lighting and heating with other tenants, but make sure you agree beforehand on how the costs are to be shared.

Council tax

In the UK most people over the age of 18 have to pay a charge for local community services, such as the police, fire brigade, rubbish collection and leisure services, and this is called ‘Council Tax'. Full-time students who live only with other full-time students don’t have to pay Council Tax and will need to provide a document from the school to Swansea Council. If you are a full-time student and you live with someone who is not a full-time student, you may be able to get a discount. 


Are you ready?


If you need help

Phone +44 1792-459615